Sewing is the art of cutting cloth and joining all the pieces of cloth using thread and needle. Sewing can be done using a machine and by hand (manually).
Printable Animal Sewing Patterns
Printable Stuffed Animal Patterns
What is Sewing?
Sewing is the art of cutting cloth and joining all the pieces of cloth using thread and needle. Sewing can be done using a machine and by hand (manually). Meanwhile, sewing is used for decorative and functional purposes.
In fact, sewing has been practiced since 20,000 years ago. In the past, the thread was made from animal skins. Meanwhile, animal bones were used as needles. Then, the sewing machine was invented in the 19th century. With this machine, sewing is faster so clothes can be produced in big quantities.
However, you need to understand sewing techniques to combine different types of fabrics into good clothes. Before understanding the various sewing techniques, you need to master the technique of threading a needle. After that, learn more complicated skills.
By understanding how to thread a needle, you will be able to understand many of the other basic skills in machine sewing and hand sewing. Currently, haute couture and fine tailoring methods are still used for sewing by hand.
What are the Types of Sewing Techniques?
In general, there are 8 types of basic sewing techniques. All of those techniques are very easy to learn. Here are some of them.
- Chain Stitch Technique: This is the oldest hand-sewing technique in the world. This technique is used to make decorations on cloth. The result of this technique is a stitch with a chain pattern. The trick is to insert the needle from the bottom up. Then, the needle is inserted again to form a circle. This method is carried out until a chain pattern is formed.
- Feston Technique: This technique is used to make and repair clothes. However, this technique is actually more suitable for repairing and making baby clothes. Therefore, mothers need to learn this sewing technique.
- Flannel Stitch: The flannel stitch technique is a complicated technique compared to many other sewing techniques. Therefore, clothes sewn using this technique are sold at high prices. This technique must be learned because it is very important for repairing clothes. This technique is used to sew fabric edges. The flannel stitch technique can be used as a basic stitch and a decorative stitch.
How to Teach Children to Be Good at Sewing?
Children also need to learn sewing techniques because it is a basic skill. Therefore, here are some tips on how to teach children to sew.
- First, introduce children to sewing from an early age. In general, 6 years old is the most suitable age to teach children about sewing techniques. You can teach them to sew by hand. Not only that, you need to teach them the easiest sewing basic techniques.
- If children are good at sewing by hand, teach them to use a sewing machine. However, use a special children's sewing machine. You can also teach them to use a real sewing machine.
- Teach them that sewing too fast will not give them good quality clothes. Therefore, teach children to sew slowly.
- You should let the children choose their own fabrics, sewing patterns, and threads. However, you need to advise them on the easiest sewing technique.
- To be good at sewing, you must allow children to sew daily.
Animal Paper Piecing Patterns Free
Giraffe Stuffed Animal Sewing Pattern Free Printable Sewing Patterns Printable Teddy Bear Sewing Pattern Templates Printable Hippo Sewing Patterns Printable Stuffed Dog Patterns Printable Baby Toy Sewing Patterns Printable Lovey Sewing Patterns
What are the Benefits of Sewing for Children?
Not only for adults, sewing can also be done by children. By learning to sew, children will get these benefits.
- Improve motor skills: Motor skills are important for children. Therefore, you can help them improve their motor skills through sewing activities. By sewing, children will have good hand-eye coordination skills.
- Develop cognitive ability: Children learn to solve problems when sewing. That's what will help them improve their cognitive skills. Connections between neurons in the brain will also be good so it positively impacts the development of children's brain cells.
- Helping kids learn math: If kids have trouble learning math, you can teach them to sew. The reason is, children must learn to make patterns and measure cloth. The pattern is related to the angle and the size of the cloth is related to the numbers. Both are basic mathematical concepts.
- Increase self-confidence: Everything that children learn can help them to understand new things. By learning sewing techniques, children's confidence will increase. That's because they understand the new skills and take pride in their sewing. If they are already good at sewing, they will try to learn other skills. So, sewing can also help children to make bigger goals in life.
- Increases patience: Sewing requires patience. That's because sewing is done with various processes such as making patterns, inserting threads into needles, and carrying out the process of sewing fabrics. They also have to practice regularly so they can make good stitches. So, sewing cannot be done instantly. Therefore, children can practice their patience through sewing activities.
- Helping children learn essential life skills: There are many basic life skills that children must understand. One of them is sewing. Therefore, children must learn to sew. If they could sew, they would be able to repair broken clothes or buttons.
Article written by Adelina M.K., last updated on Jul 20, 2020 and edited by Printablee Team.
More printable images tagged with: