There are two types of top hats that are often used by people; men's top hat and women's top hat. The two types of top hats are divided into several types.
Printable Top Hat Pattern
Mad Hatter Top Hat Pattern
What are The Types of Top Hats?
There are two types of top hats that are often used by people; men's top hat and women's top hat. The two types of top hats are divided into several types. Most men's hats are made of leather, animal fur, and straw in various sizes, heights, and colors.
Among the various types of animal fur used to make top hats, beaver fur is the most popular material. Nowadays, top hats are made from other materials that are easier to find.
Meanwhile, women's top hats are made from silk. Women's top hats look more fashionable and glamorous than men's hats. Women in the 1930s wore top hats to attend parties. So, in that era, a top hat was also called a party hat.
How is The Top Hat Structure?
The top hat has a cylindrical shape. Different from other types of hats, top hats look taller. However, the bottom is small and there is a decorative hat band.
The characteristic of a top hat is a curved brim at the bottom and a flat crown at the top. Now, top hats can be combined with various decorations.
How to Make a Top Hat?
To make a top hat, you need a top hat sewing pattern. Pattern is crucial in making a top hat because it can help you to create the best top hat.
You can make the pattern by yourself. But, the best way is to use a printable top hat pattern. You can get the pattern by downloading and printing it. Once you get the desired pattern, do the following steps.
- First, draw a pattern on the cardboard. The pattern consists of three parts; the bottom, brim, and top.
- After that, cut the cardboard.
- Next, the rectangular part is attached to the bottom. So, it will look like a cylinder.
- Then, attach the top cover.
- Cover the top hat with cloth. Remember! You will also need to cut the cloth into three pieces like the first pattern you made and attach them to each part of the hat.
- Glue the cloth to the cardboard. You can also sew it.
- Lastly, add decorations.
What are The Types of Top Hat Patterns?
In general, top hat patterns consist of three types. They are the bottom, brim, and top. Because there are many types of top hats, the patterns have many variations. Now, let's discuss some of the top hat patterns that are most widely used today!
- Mad Hatter Top Hat: This pattern is a classic pattern. The Mad Hatter top hat is made of satin. This pattern is the easiest pattern to make because you only need to sew it manually to create the perfect curve. Don't forget to add a colored ribbon or scarf to the base of the hat.
- Fedora Top Hat: If you want to go for a more modern and casual pattern, a fedora top hat is the best choice. Fedora top hats can be used for various events, from formal to casual. If you wear this top hat, you will look like you are wearing a cowboy hat.
- Mini Top Hat: The mini top hat is a unique variation of the top hat. This is small in size so its function is only as an accessory. The mini top hat pattern is loved by many women.
- Snowman Top Hat: You've seen a snowman wearing a top hat, right? At Christmas, many shops sell snowman top hats. However, you can also make it yourself. The method is no different from making a classic top hat because their shape is the same.
How to Shape The Cloth to Make a Top Hat Pattern?
To shape the cloth, you need to make a brim pattern first. After that, you can use hot water to soften the cloth fibers. Next, shape the cloth accordingly using your fingers.
To make it easier for you to shape the cloth for the top hat pattern, you should use wool cloth. The reason is, wool is easier to shape compared to other types of cloth. Wool cloth is also more durable and does not change size due to temperature effects.
Snowman Top Hat Templates
Snowman Top Hat Template Printable Printable Mini Top Hat Template Printable Paper Top Hat Pattern Printable Paper Hat Templates Classic Top Hat Template Printable Printable Snowman Hat Pattern Printable Mini Top Hat Pattern
How to Choose The Best Top Hat Pattern?
There are several things you should consider when choosing a top hat pattern, starting from the material used to the shape of your face.
- Top Hat Size: The first aspect in choosing a top hat pattern is the size. The size of the pattern must be adjusted to the size of your head circumference. Therefore, you need to measure your head circumference first. The size can vary, starting from 54-65 cm (small-XXX large).
- Material: Consider the type of material to make the top hat. Some top hat patterns look complicated to make, so you need durable materials so they can be easy to shape.
- Face Shape: Your face shape also determines the type of top hat pattern that suits you. An example is an oval face shape that can wear all types of top hats. If you have a round face shape, you should use a low crown or wide brim pattern. Therefore, you need to know how to determine face shape.
Since there are many top hat patterns, you need to consider various aspects to choose the best type of pattern. Understand the steps for making it so you can get the perfect top hat for your look. Make sure that you are comfortable and confident when wearing the top hat.
Article written by Shasmitha Mutiara, last updated on Sep 21, 2021 and edited by Printablee Team.
More printable images tagged with: