Carb-counting diet or carbs diet is a diet designed to reduce carbohydrate levels so that blood sugar is stable. To adopt this diet, you have to calculate the portion of carbohydrates consumed each day.
Printable Carb Counter Chart
What is a Carb-Counting Diet?
Carb-counting diet or carbs diet is a diet designed to reduce carbohydrate levels so that blood sugar is stable. To adopt this diet, you have to calculate the portion of carbohydrates consumed each day. Therefore, you need to use a carb-counter.
You need to know that only certain types of food can be consumed. The type of carbohydrate consumed is carbohydrate that is easily digested.
What are The Important Things to Adopt Carb-Counting Diet?
There are three main things needed to do a carbs diet.
- Carb Counter: The main thing you need to implement a carbs diet is a carb-counter. Carb-counter is a printable carb chart. It is a diet tool that helps you to track your daily carbohydrate intake.
- Spoons or Cups: You also need spoons or cups to calculate your food portions.
- Food List: Finally, you need to know the list of foods that you can and cannot consume when doing a carbs diet.
What is The Carb Counter Concept?
The main concept of a carb counter is to calculate carbohydrate levels for all food groups and present the information in a chart, which is often also called a diabetic diet chart. So, the carb counter is written on a chart and is called a carb counter chart.
Carb counters serve more than 6,000 foods. By using the carb counter chart, you can analyze the diet goals and the diet that you are adopting. You can use these two things to get health benefits.
How to Use a Carb Counter?
To use a carb counter, you need to print a carb counter chart first. After that, do the following important steps.
- Write a list of healthy foods to consume.
- Find out the carbohydrate levels for each type of food.
- Determine daily portions for each food. To determine the daily portion, you can use a spoon and guidelines for determining diet food portions.
- Write all types of low carbohydrate foods on the chart.
- Choose a variety of food menus according to the 3 aspects; types of healthy foods, carbohydrate levels, and portions.
- Make a menu for a week and write it on your daily or weekly meal planning schedule.
- Apply this diet regularly.
How to Count Carbs Using a Carb Counter?
To count your daily carbohydrates using a carb counter, you need to know your daily carbohydrate needs. It depends on several factors such as age, gender, activity level, and body weight.
According to The Dietary Guidelines for Americans normal people need 45-65% carbohydrates of daily calorie intake or 275 grams per day. However, the carbs' needs can be different depending on each person's condition. So, you should consult with a nutritionist. After that, consider these aspects to count the carbohydrate in each food using a carb counter.
- Food Labels: If you buy food, there is a list of ingredients on the food label. So, you need to use it to know the carbs of the food.
- Carbohydrate Content: Most foods contain 15 grams of carbohydrates. Examples are milk, starch, and fruit. Meanwhile, vegetables and protein foods contain 0-5 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
- Calories: Calories consist of carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Meanwhile, 1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories. So, the higher the calorie food, the higher the carbohydrate content. Therefore, choose low-calorie foods.
- Insulin: Insulin is a hormone that functions to process sugar (from carbohydrates) into energy. 1 unit of insulin can process 12-15 grams of carbohydrates. Therefore, you need to consume 15 grams of carbohydrates per day.
- Portions: Carb counters also ask you to count food portions.You can use a measuring cup, spoon, or digital scale. An example is 1 serving of nuts (½ cup or 50-75 grams). After that, find out the carbohydrate for 1 gram of nuts and you can calculate the total carbohydrates.
Printable Carb Counter Chart
Carbohydrate Carb Counter Chart Printable Carb Counting Chart Printable Food Calorie Counter Chart Carbohydrate Carb Counter Chart Printable Printable Carb Counter Chart Printable Carb Counter For Diabetics Printable Carb Counter Chart
What are The Importances of Counting Carbs?
There are several main reasons why counting carbohydrates is important to do.
- Plan Healthy Meals: Counting carbohydrates is important because it can help you, especially diabetics, to make healthy diet plans. The main focus of carbohydrate counting is fulfilling daily nutrition through consuming healthy and low-carbohydrate foods.
- Daily Menu Variation: By calculating food carbohydrates, you can be flexible in determining your daily menu. So, you won't get bored with your diet. You can consume different types of food as long as the food does not exceed the maximum limit of carbohydrates needed by your body.
- Boost Immune System: Counting carbohydrates is one of the best ways to boost the immune system. Why? This is because you focus on consuming healthy foods. All those healthy food can enhance your immunity.
- Prevent Chronic Disease: Carbohydrate counting can help you plan a diet with low sugar. If you often consume foods with high carbohydrates, you are at high risk of developing various chronic diseases such as diabetes mellitus and cancer. Therefore, counting carbohydrates in food can also reduce the risk of chronic disease.
- Improve Quality of Life: By counting carbohydrates, you can adopt a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle has a positive impact on improving the quality of your life. So, you will feel happy living your life.
Carb counter is an important tool to help people to implement a carbs diet. You can find out the carbohydrate content for all types of food per serving along with the calorie, fat, and protein. All this information can help you adopt a healthy diet to prevent many chronic diseases.
Article written by Shasmitha Mutiara, last updated on Apr 12, 2021 and edited by Printablee Team.
More printable images tagged with: